“Rule No. 1: Never lose money. Rule No. 2: Never forget rule No. 1.” —Warren Buffett
It is with great pleasure that I am drafting the first email for RHHS’s Investors Club of the 2013-2014 school year! Not only do we hope that you gain a wide variety of knowledge in the field of finance and investments, but we hope that your participation and involvement in Investors Club will not only provide you with newfound friendships and camaraderie, but also with invaluable skills that will help you in both your educational path and your future career.
Now that the mushy stuff is over and done with, here are some tidbits of information that it is of the utmost importance for you to know.
Nipissing University Stock Market Challenge
The Nipissing University Stock Market Challenge is a one month competition that we will (most likely) be taking part in this year! There is absolutely no cost to register and there are some pretty sweet prizes to boot!
* First Place: $2,000 Tuition Credit to Nipissing University*
* Second Place: $1,000 Tuition Credit to Nipissing University*
* Third Place: $500 Tuition Credit to Nipissing University*
Please note that we will most likely force you to take part in this, so try your best and have fun! Those looking to attend Nipissing University upon graduation, take notes.
We will send more information later on pertaining to this, so keep your eyes peeled to your inboxes.
Our next meeting will take place on October 17, 2013 at the same room. The current agenda for the next meeting is:
- short video
- introductory lesson
- more Investopedia!
If anyone has suggestions for the exec team on further activities for any meeting, let us know by hitting the reply button and sending us your thoughts — we value them. We really do.
State of the Club
Although we received a decent turnout at our first meeting, we are always welcoming more and more members to take part in our club. If you find investing interesting, or know someone who may enjoy Investors Club, let them know and send them here. Not only are we looking to build our club membership, but we are also trying to build friendships and bonds (pun
not intended) in this club, despite how cheesy that may sound.
Connect with us!
As of approximately 4:10 PM this afternoon, Investors Club is striving to become the most technologically advanced club in the school. If we can’t defeat their budgets or their numbers, we can crush them with technology.
So, here’s how we’ll do that.
- We’ve set up a website, available at rhhsinvestors.com . From there, you’ll be able to find links to our social media, contact information, and schedule of upcoming meetings and events. In the future, we’ll be adding PowerPoints from our lessons and more information and resources for both fun and learning. If there is enough interest, we can also add a place for members to sign up, post their profits, and see where they stand amongst their friends. Kind of like GameCenter, but for virtual stocks.
- Follow us on Twitter, @RHHSInvestors. Regular updates and interaction will certainly take place, along with the occasional joke or funny picture. We will follow back!
- Join our Facebook group ! Press Join Group and someone will grant you access shortly.
- Add our calendar to your Google Calendar account. It’s free; why not?
Message from the President
“I love you guys.” —Stephen Xiao
So, to recap:
Thanks for coming, you’ll have lots of fun. Nipissing is starting soon. Our next meeting is October 17, 2013. Get your friends to come. We’re technologically advanced. Our President loves you. Yes he actually wrote that. No, I am not lying.
That’s all, folks!
And that concludes the first installment of the Investors Club (newsletter? mailing list? whatever). I really hope you guys read all of this, because I put a lot of effort into writing it. Don’t break my heart.
On behalf of the entire exec team, we would like to once again, welcome you to our wonderful club, and we hope to see all of you (and your friends) next week. Take care, and have a wonderful long weekend.